Wednesday, December 7, 2022

How are you holding up?

 

12 7 2022

 





The holidays are a joyful time for many and extremely difficult for others.

 



 

For those who have a hard time, people can give you a lot of recommendations, can’t they? Get into the spirit! Decorating will make you feel better! And lots of others. I happen to get benefit from being with other people. I love holiday crowds. But I’m not everyone!

 

 

I found this article in Psychology Today about why meditation doesn’t work for everyone. It impressed me. It lists 5 conditions that make meditation difficult, even harmful. Take a look if you’ve found no benefits from medication.

 

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/when-kids-call-the-shots/202212/why-meditation-doesn-t-work-everyone

 

 

One this those of us with depression are good at is hiding it behind a smile. You never can tell what a person is thinking or feeling, just by looking.

 



 

The end is the part I like: finding your own form of meditation. Like the guy who lost himself in his carving, I can lose myself in my fiction. I never realized it before, but writing is my meditation. I mean, I’ve always known that I’m in better mental health when I’m writing, but I’ve never put it that way. I know some people exercise to stay sane. Do you have anything similar?

 



 

I expect to have a very good Christmas. There will be 5 grandchildren present. That’s a formula for happiness!

 


***I’ll note that this is being posted on Pearl Harbor Day. I don’t want to ignore it.



The illustrations are all from pixabay.com

 

 


2 comments:

  1. Hi Kaye, All my life I've had friends recommend meditation, from the Sixties onward. It never worked for me, and their answer always was that I wasn't trying hard enough, wasn't concentrating. No matter what I did, I got back up feeling either worse or just bored with an edge of pissed-off for wasting more time. It's nice to have validation here in different answers. Whenever someone asks me why I keep writing when there's been times I felt ignored by the world, my only answer has been "It's the only thing that makes me feel like myself again." It's so easy to lose ourselves in everything. Writing finds me again. So I guess, like you, it's simply my form of meditation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found validation with that article also. I'm glad we both got to read it!

      Delete