Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Happy Year of the Pig!




According to the Chinese Zodiac, which, for some reason, I always consult for the New Year, 2019 will be The Year of The Pig

by takeasnap

The official site says that Pig is the 12th and last of the zodiac animals. (In 2020  we start over with rats, so enjoy the pigs.)

The legend is that the pig has to be last because he was the last to arrive for the party that the Jade Emperor gave. I guess Jade gets to decide these things. Pig was last because he overslept, according to one version.

by KlausF001
I was surprised to see the other version: Pig was late because a wolf (not a zodiac animal, poor thing) destroyed his house! He had to rebuild it, but it must not have taken long, because he did make it to the party. My surprise is because of the similarity of our Three Little Pigs story, the wolf trying to blow down the pigs’ houses. Wolves really have it out for pigs!     


Anyway, I hope you have a bright and shiny New Year. Pigs are a symbol of wealth and good fortune, and I wish that for everyone reading this! (And for me. Why not?)


by Fidler Jan

all photos from morguefile.com


5 comments:

  1. I really like this bit of folktale. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pigs are very intelligent and much smarter than dogs, but difficult physically as pets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad had a pet pig that he rode on as a child. They ARE very smart!

      Delete
  3. "I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." ~ Winston Churchill.

    May The Year of the Pig bring you wealth and good fortune and all kinds of other good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect quote! Thanks. I hope for all of those things for you,too.

      Delete