Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Conferences and Conventions

The travel that I do for my writing is mostly to conferences. I LOVE to go to conferences. Several reasons.



(1) I always get to meet someone I've known online, but have never seen--a real thrill.



(2) I get to associate with other crazy people--um, I mean other writers. But let's face it, we're not normal, especially mystery writers. We get together and discuss efficient, hard-to-detect methods of killing, places to hide bodies, personality disorders, fascinating stuff like that.






(3) I get exposure for the time when I will have a book to sell. It's good to have other authors know who you are, even better to have readers and mystery fans know who you are. Conventions are better than conferences for this, but they're both fun.




(4) It's a getaway that I don't have to feel guilty about, because it's for my writing career.



(5) It's a legitimate tax deduction.



books by Peter Kemp from Creative Commons
hotel room photo is public domain by Derek Jensen

No comments:

Post a Comment