Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Drinking with Novels


This very long post was inspired by this article I read a few months ago. It seems that John Cheever said, “The excitement of alcohol and the excitement of fantasy are very similar.” I don’t know that I buy into that, but I think mixing alcohol and books sounds like fun.

Here are my selections for my own work.






Imogene Duckworthy mysteries

CHOKE
Since the guy died with a sausage stuffed down his throat, a good German brew should go nicely. Berliner Weisse might do nicely. It’s supposed to be tart and tangy, somewhat as I picture Imogene Duckworthy.






SMOKE 

Smoked pork is prominent in this book. This Italian wine should do nicely—Tenuta Delle Terre Nere, “Etna Rosso” 2014. The reference to Etna fits nicely with the book’s theme, too.

BROKE
A Halloween story with a ghost, so naturally, you’d have to sip some form of cider, right? The ABGB in Austin serves Texas Keeper and Argus hard ciders. It would be best to visit them for this. If you do, say HI to my son, night manager and barkeep. (Or try any of the beers they make there.)






On to my next series, Cressa Carraway Musical Mysteries

EINE KLEINE MURDER
How about mixing up some Gluehwein? It’s appropriately from Austria, Mozart’s country, since my title is taken from a Mozart piece I’ve played about a thousand times and still love.
Here’s the recipe adapted the site below:
GLUEHWEIN

Ingredients
2 bottles red wine, possibly Cabernet Sauvignon or Pinot Noir, 750 ml. each
2 cups water
2 lemons sliced
2 cinnamon sticks
3 cloves
2 oranges peeled and diced (cut peels into thin strips and save)

Instructions
Combine all but orange pieces in a large pan and bring to a simmer.
Add the orange pieces and simmer until everything smells good, 10-15 minutes.
Remove cloves and cinnamon sticks before serving.
Add a thin slice of orange peel to each glass before serving.

REQUIEM IN RED
This calls for some memorable. Since the Irish know how to do wakes, I’ll go with an Irish shooter. Recipe included in the link.

Next series! This one is a bit more difficult, the People of the Wind series, featuring Neanderthals and set 30,000 years ago. I’m not sure that they had fermented drinks, but let’s pretend they did.



DEATH IN THE TIME OF ICE
Something to keep you warm while you read this. I nearly froze to death writing it. An ancient Indian rice drink, sura, may warm the cockles of your heart. I don’t think you can get this anymore, but you can’t get Neanderthals any more either. Maybe mead would be a better choice. It was drunk in ancient Greece.





DEATH ON THE TREK 

This calls for a portable drink, since the tribe is trekking for the whole novel. The article below suggests bringing along two, a mixture of herbal gin and chartreuse for lighter passages, and whisky with vermouth for heavier chapters. A good flask is, of course, important.






My cozy Fat Cat series calls for lighter fare. Chase Oliver likes plain wine, but let’s get more imaginative here.
FAT CAT AT LARGE
A white wine spritzer is my choice for finding the bodies in this book.








FAT CAT SPREADS OUT

Quincy gets into all kinds of trouble at the fair in this book. You can’t S’mores beer by Giggles from the Minnesota State Fair.

FAT CAT TAKES THE CAKE
What should you have with cake? Punch! It should be a red one to match the cover.







There! I’ve covered all my novels so far.

What will you drink with your reads?

photo from Morguefile.com

12 comments:

  1. LOL, Kaye. Great idea for a post. I have so much trouble pairing wine and food I just stick to chardonnay. Wine and books presents a whole new challenge, but they say we ultimately write about ourselves, and the women in my books drink a lot of chardonnay. The men seem to prefer a good cab.
    Love this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Judy! I admit I haven't heard of half those drinks, but the research was fun. No, I didn't drink them all--just looked them up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very clever. I'm laughing as I type.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. But I think Immy should have Lone Star with her sausage. It is, after all, the National Beer of Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right, Kathy! What was I thinking? Either Lone Star or Shiner Bock.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun and creative post! Definitely something to try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! What do I drink with my books? White wine, even though my characters drink Louisiana cocktails. If I could mix a Pimm's Cup, I'd drink that. But since I'm always on WW, wine is less damaging calorie-wise. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pam, let me know how it turns out!

    Ellen, I don't drink what my characters drink either. I want them to be more sophisticated--or something.

    Thanks, Pam and Ellen, for weighing in. Oops, I didn't mean that, Ellen--I mean thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this concept. My characters mostly drink wine. Lately, they seem to eat lots of Italian and Indian food.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun idea and post, Kaye!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Marilyn and Vinnie. It was a lot of work to do, but fun!

    ReplyDelete