Tuesday, April 18, 2017

More Eclipse Glimpses



I’ve been revealing the stories of Day of the Dark, bit by bit, in much the same way that the moon will reveal the sun after it has devoured it. It will take about 45 minutes from start to total eclipse on August 21st. Then 45 more minutes for the moon to move out of the way and let the sun shine again. If you’re in the path of the total eclipse, you’re very lucky! Or maybe you plan to go where it’s total. You’ll see a partial eclipse from many other places.

Here’s something else that will happen. This sky map shows you what will appear during the eclipse—4 planets that are usually only seen at night.

Today, I’m giving you another illustration of how varied the 24 stories are. As I’ve noted before, Wildside Press will release the book July 21st, a month before the coming total solar eclipse in North America. We should have a cover sometime in May, which I’ll definitely post here.

“I’ll Be a Sunbeam” by M. K. Waller features a gentle, gentile killer, if you can imagine such a thing, and takes place in Killburn TX.

“Ocean’s Fifty” by Laura Oles, lets us see a unique swindle in Port Aransas on the Texas coast.

“The Devil’s Standtable” by Melissa Blaine thrills us with the supernatural in southern Illinois, near where I grew up.

“Date Night” by Cari Dubiel, takes us on an unusual journey, involving more than traveling through space.

All of these involve solar eclipses, some total, some partial. If you’ve been following these reveals, you might be seeing a pattern by now. I’m laying the stories out in roughly the path the eclipse will take across the US. I’m very excited to see what kind of cover Wildside will give us! I’m not sure I’ll post next Wednesday, since I’ll be busy with Malice Domestic, but will be back with more previews for sure in May.


photo by blondieb38 from Morguefile

5 comments:

  1. It must be exciting to have your own anthology coming out for such a special event. It's exciting to have a story in it. I'm oblivious to patterns, though, so thank you for point that out. (As I was saying before my cat lay down on the keyboard and wiped out the whole comment.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm VERY excited about this project. And so pleased that Wildside took it on, getting it out in time for the eclipse. Give your cat a head rub for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How clever to follow the path of the eclipse, and the story blurbs are intriguing. Looking forward to an intriguing cover as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We'll see if the publisher wants to keep the same order, but it seemed to work with the stories. Thanks for posting here, cj!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to read all the other stories in Day of the Dark.

    ReplyDelete