Wednesday, December 17, 2014

My Morale Problem

In the face of the violence exploding all over the world, especially the deaths of so many children in Pakistan at the hands of sub-humans, I’m finding I have to gird myself to get up the gumption to write about death and murder.

I asked myself yesterday, How can I write about fictional murder when actual atrocities are occurring right now?

Not having an answer, I went ahead and got my quota for the day written. Actually, I exceeded it and had a good writing day. It’s nice to have an alternate world that I can retreat into. A world where order reigns supreme—after the disorder gets taken care of.

After quite a bit of thought, I realized that this is something I’ve told myself and others many times. What I do as a mystery writer is very different. I’m turning the tables, setting the crime on its head. In my fiction, the murderer gets caught and justice is done. In real life, that doesn’t always happen. Fiction gives me a chance to display good triumphing over evil. Fiction isn’t real life. It’s better.

Also, I never kill children.


This blog is cross posted on http://janetcantrell.blogspot.com/

5 comments:

  1. You told me this once. It's good advice. Thanks for saying it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The advantage of crime fiction is that authors and readers get to see order restored and justice meted out in spite of the chaos caused by crime.

    In real life, restored order and justice are not often enough married, which means chaos lingers and threatens.

    And, BTW, I just discovered your wonderful blog site. I look forward to stopping by in the future. In the meantime, I must hurry back to my own new blog and try to post something meaningful.

    For now, though, all the best from the Redneck Rivera -- where the Bible Belt is firmly buckled and the oysters are almost always fresh and delicious

    R/
    R.T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments, Kathy and R.T. There are times when I have to pause and renew my intentions in light of current events and this week was one of those times.

    Hope you find something useful here, R.T.!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The joy of fiction - good can always triumph.

    I never hurt children or animals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it's satisfying in the end, isn't it, LD?

    ReplyDelete