Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Independence Day




I hope you're having a good Fourth! We just finished watching Kaboom Town on television, broadcast from Addison, Texas, an event we've attended in person many times. What a show! I wish I were there. Except I don't wish I were in the traffic jam leaving the show. As I sit here writing this on Tuesday evening, I hear firecrackers popping here in Hubbard, Texas, too.

I love firecrackers! Love the shows! Especially on this patriotic holiday, they make my heart swell, and the spectacular explosions bring tears to my eyes.

One Fourth, we were in Waterloo Belgium. We were visiting American friends who were living there for two years on business. In the afternoon they took us to their American club, where everything was decorated in red, white, and blue. There were game booths set on the lawn, and a country band, I think. The Americans living in Belgium had set up grills and were serving--what else?--hot dogs and hamburgers. They even served imported California wine. It was a fun time. I think that holiday may have meant more to me, celebrating it outside our country, than any I've celebrated in the US. I got homesick on that Fourth, and I remember how grateful I was to come back home when our trip was over.

We're not the only country to celebrate Independence, of course. Lots of other countries have similar celebrations. Canada gained political independence only in 1982. It's not a young country, for the Western Hemisphere, but its autonomy is new. Mexico celebrates in September.

This article lists Independence Days of other countries. These join us in celebrating in July: Abkhazia (although it's not totally liberated), Algeria, Argentina, Bahamas, Belarus, Belgium, Burundi, Cape Verde, Colombia (which has another celebration in August for some reason), Laos, Liberia, Malawi, Maldives, Peru, Rwanda, São Tomé and Principe, Slovakia, Soloman Islands, Somalia, South Sudan, Vanuatu, and Venezuela. OK, I'll admit I've never heard of some of these, but it's a varied list, you've got to admit. We're all partying together this month. And I'm partying right here, right where I want to be.

Happy Fourth!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Americans for this precious day. Its a great day in American history when they got freedom from Britishers. Congrats once again. Romania Tours

    ReplyDelete