Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Going Down a New Path

The anthology that came out last week is a departure for me since I've considered myself a mystery writer for the last ten years or so. Before that I tried literary short stories without much luck. Okay, without any luck. Eventually I had a couple of those published, but not before quite a few mystery stories were accepted here and there. (A nearlycomplete list)

My travels, since I started this blog, have chronicled my journey to publication of my mystery novel. There was also inclusion in the Guppy anthology, as well as my short story collection--all mysteries, more of less. I expected the next book to be another mystery.

However, a writing group I've been meeting with is not a mystery group. We're all just writers who met up at an Austin conference. We have found that we all like to write dark tales, among other things. So we got together and put some stuff together. Some of it has been published before, but most of it has not. Mary Ann Loesch has an urban fantasy novel out called NEPHILIM. Steven Metze wrote a zombie book called THE ZOMBIE MONOLOGUES. And I wrote the mystery CHOKE.

 Hence, a new path for me! 

As you can see, we're not all writing in the same genre. But, you know what? I don't think that matters any more. I see genres mixed and blending all over the place. So we're joining a trend, really, not starting one, by putting out an anthology together and throwing our genres together. We think it turned out pretty well. If you'd like to see for yourself, the paperback is at Amazon and the ebook is out for Kindle, Nook, and everything else at Smashwords.

Some of these stories would be good to read on Halloween night, after the trick-or-treaters have gone home and the lights have been turned low, the darkness has started creeping into the house, a cold wind is rattling the shutters, and a distant cat is howling.



Photo of Great River Road in Wisconsin from Wikimedia

No comments:

Post a Comment